Finance & Securities Industry-New Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finance & Securities Industry-New Job

I'm not post-discharge yet but wanted to share my story here as it does shed some light and provide some hope to those struggling with the background and credit checks of new employment post bankruptcy.

Let me start by saying I have a job. I was just looking for a better job. My specialty areas are government (federal) and financial (investments, banking, credit). I think we can agree that these are two of the sectors that scrutinize potential associates the deepest.

While going through my bankruptcy, I hit it off with a major national financial corporation for a mid-level management licensed position with a mid to high visibility level. I had my final interviews the week after my 341, at which time I did disclose my going through an active bankruptcy. Nevertheless, I was provided with an application and credit/background authorization forms, as well as proper disclosure that the bk may preclude the issuance of a formal offer, but that HR and legal normally would look at the total package rather than just the one event.

Well, today I got a call from HR offering me the position, written offer will be overnighted tomorrow for Saturday delivery. HR confirmed that they looked closer at derogatory information prior to bk, which there was none (we filed before we were even 30 days late with anything), to detect behavior patterns and what my overall current debt load was, as well as the fact that I disclosed the event when asked if I had any red flags in my background. In addition, they also weighed heavily on the value added components that I brought to the company that, although not job requirements, would make for a more efficient position and department.

So, my goal in sharing this story is that it will bring someone here some hope that, even while going through a BK, one can get a job...even in the highly regulated securities and financial industry.
    Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
    AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

go get em joe!!! you are the shinning example of success after and during bk!!
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Employment Credit Report Specifics

I received a copy of the report prepared by the background and credit check company hired by my new employer.

For those of you expressing doubts about what is contained in an employment credit report:

Open accounts, account types, balances, limits, status.
      Closed accounts, account types, balances = 0, limits, status.

What is not contained: History, credit score.

Others may differ, but this was a criminal, background, and credit check conducted by LexisNexis, a major supplier of this type of intel to major employers.
      Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10

Comment

Originally posted by ccsjoe View Post
        I received a copy of the report prepared by the background and credit check company hired by my new employer.

For those of you expressing doubts about what is contained in an employment credit report:

Open accounts, account types, balances, limits, status.
        Closed accounts, account types, balances = 0, limits, status.

What is not contained: History, credit score.

Others may differ, but this was a criminal, background, and credit check conducted by LexisNexis, a major supplier of this type of intel to major employers.
        very interesting...ahhhhhh but not contained" credit history...that's interesting as well....maybe they didn't want to upset their new employee!!! LOL!!!
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Yup, no 24 month account history. The BK is referenced under account status and under public records.

Comment

Yup, no 24 month account history. The BK is referenced under account status and under public records.

this is great!!

Comment

Congratulations, I'm so happy for you.

In such a harsh market its good to know that you were able to move up.

For myself, I'm not so confident. While I am happy that I have an extensive resume, (have been working since I was 15 years old) and have been checking craigslist, monster.com etc every day for 3+ months, I haven't been able to find anything. I've been applying for jobs that are $10,000 less then what I'm used to getting paid. Perhaps its because a lot of my background is in Executive/Personal Assistant roles, and office manager, TV/Film (which is what I majored in) types of deals (but I do have a bachelors degree, am in my mid 20's and have experience in a bunch of different markets).

Still not encouraging at all. :-(
              Last edited by malibu; 10-29-2010, 06:00 PM.
              Filed: 9/21/10
              341a: 10/29/10
              Report of No Distribution 11/02/10

Comment

malibu, one small trick that may help. I updated my resume on monster & careerbuilder every Sunday, that way it was always on the list of "new" resume downloads that HR screeners do every week. Keeps your name on top of the pile. Updating doen't mean extensive changes...I used to just add or delete a comma...lol. But it did the job, kept my resume fresh and eventually I got contacted by this financial services company. I was not actively applying, just weekly refreshing, so a passive search. Hope this helps.

Comment

malibu, one small trick that may help. I updated my resume on monster & careerbuilder every Sunday, that way it was always on the list of "new" resume downloads that HR screeners do every week. Keeps your name on top of the pile. Updating doen't mean extensive changes...I used to just add or delete a comma...lol. But it did the job, kept my resume fresh and eventually I got contacted by this financial services company. I was not actively applying, just weekly refreshing, so a passive search. Hope this helps.
                  Thank you for that advice, I had never thought of that. I'll be sure to start doing it.
                  Filed: 9/21/10
                  341a: 10/29/10
                  Report of No Distribution 11/02/10

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X